Friday, December 16, 2005

Natalie Merchant

Following on from my prior post on Kristen Hersh may I alert those not in the know about Natalie Merchant. In 1990 a friend lent me a 10 000 Maniacs CD because it contained a track called Jack Kerouac and I was a fan of his at the time. Since then 15 years have passed and she is ageing better. The Maniacs have released a set of amazing music that she has added to. I would start with the 10 000 Maniacs Unplugged and take it from there. She played the Old Fruitmarket in Glasgow in 2002 I think and it remains my top gig ever, with the Femmes in London 1990, Belly (Glasgow Plaza 1995), Arcade Fire(Glasgow 2005), Belle and Sebastian (Glasgow Barrowlands 2001?) and Morrisey (Paisley 2004!) making the top 6!. She played piano for an hour and then the band kicked in!

No comments: